헬조선

fck123
조회 수 205
추천 수 5
댓글 4

미국 브라운 대학교의 Brown Political Review에 실린 인터뷰 내용입니다.

장하준 박사는 현재 캠브리지 대학의 경제학과 교수이다.1960년대 남한에서 태어난 장하준 박사는 소박한 가정 교육을 받으면서

금융세계를 이해하고 싶은 동기를 가지게 되었고 오늘날 가장 저명한 정치경제학자들 중 한 명이 되었다.장박사는 교수로서 역할

뿐만 아니라 존경받는 작가이자 경제 자문으로 활동하고 있다.

Q : 교수님은 어떻게 정치와 경제에 대한 관심을 가지게 되셨나요?

저는 1963년 남한에서 태어났습니다.그 당시 남한은 세계에서 가장 가난한 나라들 중 하나였습니다.빈민촌이 들끓었고 노동자들이

시위를 하다가 경찰에게 두들겨 맞는 일이 흔했습니다.학생들은 데모를 하면서 분신자살을 하기도 했습니다.저는 왜 그리고 어떻게

이런 일들이 일어나는지 정말로 이해하고 싶었습니다.그래서 경제학을 공부하게 되었습니다.

Q : 교수님은 2008년 금융위기에 대응하여 일어난 사회적 운동이 경제학 교육 방식에 있어 변화를 가져왔다고 보시는지요?

많은 경제학자들이 여전히 자신들의 이론에 근본적으로 잘못된 점이 없다고 믿고 있습니다.솔직히 교과 과정을 바꾸는 일에는 많은

저항이 있습니다.그래서 저는 헛된 희망을 가지지는 않습니다. 하지만  적어도 일정한 변화가 있었고 이 점 때문에 저는 조금이나마

낙관적인 생각을 가지고 있습니다.천천히 목표지점으로 가고 있다고 생각합니다.변화가 빨리 일어날 것이라는 착각은 하지 않고 있

습니다.그러나 결국 학계는 진짜 세상에서 일어나는 변화에 대응해야 합니다.

Q : 도날드 트럼프와 힐러리 클린턴의 경제 정책에 대한 교수님의 의견은 어떠한가요?

글쎄요.저는 도날드 트럼프에게 얘깃거리가 되는 어떤 진짜 정책이 있는지 의문스럽습니다.물론 부자들이 더 많이 투자하고 더 많은

일자리와 부를 창출할 수 있도록  부자들의 세금을 감면해야 한다고 트럼프도 일반 우파들이 기도문처럼 외워대는 정책을 가지고 있

습니다. 하지만 지난 30년간  경제학의 낙수효과 실험은 성공하지 못한 것으로 보입니다.낙수효과 이론이 논리적으로 틀리지는 않습

니다만 성공하지 못한 것으로 입증되었습니다.그래서 저는 사람들이 어떻게 이번에는 그것이 성공할 것이라고 믿을 수 있는 지 이해

할 수가 없습니다.그리고 페니 플랜(penny plan)인가 하는 다른 정책도 있는 것 같습니다.기본적으로 매년 1%씩 정부 지출을 감소해

서 일정 시점에 균형예산을 달성하겠다는 것인데 왜 항상 균형예산을 달성해야만 하지요? 제가 이해할 수 없는 부분입니다.사람들은

보통 매년 균형예산을 달성해야만 한다고 말합니다. 그런데 매년 해야 하는 일이라면 왜 매분기마다 매달마다 매일마다 하지 않는 것

일까요?

Q : 그렇다면 미국이 지금 당면해 있는 경제적 문제들을 해결하기 위한 방안은 어떤 것이 있을까요?

우선 미국에게 필요한 것은 금융과 기업 시스템을 개혁하는 일입니다.이 개혁은 평범한 미국인을 위한 일자리와 소득을 창출할 더 생

산적인 것들이 많아지는 방식으로 이루어져야 합니다.특히 미국에서는 기업이 주주를 위한 현금 인출기로 변했습니다.주주들은 단기

이익을 내라고 기업들을 압박합니다.이런 요구를 충족시키기 위해 기업은 어떻게 하나요? 기업은 단기적 이익을 위해 회사의 장기적

성장을 희생시켜야 합니다.따라서 설비,기술,숙련 노동자에 대한 투자를 하지 않게 됩니다.단기적으로 지출이 없기 때문에 이익은 늘

어나게 됩니다.하지만 장기적으로는 기업에 해가 되는 일입니다.왜냐하면 경쟁력을 상실하고 기술은 낙후되며 기술이 떨어지면서 종

업원의 사기가 떨어지기 때문입니다.잊지 마세요.미국 CEO는 다른 나라의 CEO보다 적어도 2배 이상 때로는 20배 이상의 급여를 받

습니다.장기적으로 회사를 파괴하고 미국 노동자의 생활수준을 압박한 대가로 말입니다.시스템 개혁 없이 우리가 한때 가졌던 역동적

이고 공정한 사회를 가질 수 있을 지 의문입니다.

Q : 일전에 교수님은 2008년 금융위기와 같은 일을 방지하기 위해서는 우리가 ``물질적 풍요가 유일한 목표로 허용되지 않는``

시스템을 구축해야 한다고 언급하셨습니다.미국 같은 자본주의 국가에서 어떻게 이런 시스템이 작동할 수 있을 지 설명해주

시겠습니까?

질문의 핵심으로 들어가기 전에 저는 먼저 자본주의를 실행하는 많은 방식이 있다는 점을 말씀드리고 싶습니다.미국과 일본의 방식은

매우 다릅니다. 일본과 스웨덴의 방식은 매우 다르며 스웨덴과 프랑스 방식도 매우 다릅니다.동기부여로서의 이익이 중요하고 기업에

대한 사적 소유권이 있는 시스템으로 자본주의를 정의한다면 자본주의는 많은 종류의 경제 운영 방식과 양립할 수 있습니다.저는 물질

적 진보가 하찮다고 생각하는 사람이 아닙니다.그러나 당신이 물질적 진보를 사회의 유일한 목표로 정한다면 당신은 2008년의 미국 시

스템처럼 기본적으로 자기파괴적인 경제 시스템을 만들어내게 됩니다.당신이 물질적 풍요가 유일한 목표인 사회를 구축하면 사람들은

덜 즐거워지며 사회는 더 많은 갈등을 겪게 됩니다. 저는 이런 것들을 통제하는 것이 매우 중요하다고 생각합니다. 사실 우리는 이것을

달성할 수 있는 지식을 지니고 있습니다.하지만 어떤 것을 변화시킬 정치적 의지의 부재가 이런 안전 조치들의 실행을 막고 있는 것입

니다.

Q : 물질적 풍요로움과 별개로 교수님의 개인적은 목표는 무엇입니까?

제 개인적 목표요? 이게 진짜 개인적인지는 잘 모르겠지만 저는 세상에 대해 더 많이 알고 싶습니다.매우 기본적인 욕구이겠습니다만

저는 다른 나라와 문화 그리고 저와 다르게 생각하는 사람들에 관한 것들을 읽는 것을 좋아합니다.다른 장소를 가보고 다른 것을 배우

는 일도 좋아합니다.예전에 어떤 분이 저에게 이렇게 물어보시더군요. ``당신이 초능력 한 가지를 가질 수 있다면 그건 무엇입니까?``

저는 언어를 빨리 배우는 능력을 가지고 싶다고 말했습니다.다른 언어를 배우게 되면 다른 세상을 가지게 되기 때문이지요.지극히 개

인적 수준에서 세상에 대한 제 호기심과 다른 사람에 대해 알고 싶어하는 제 욕망은 매우 강합니다.조금 덜 개인적 수준에서 저는 지난

10년 15년간 공적 토론에 참여해 왔으며 경제가 운영되어야만 하는 방식에 대한 공적 여론에 영향을 끼치려고 노력하고 있습니다.저는

이것이 경제학자로서 제가 할 수 있는 기여라고 생각합니다.모든 경제학자가 공적 토론에 참여해야만 한다는 의미는 아닙니다.그건 불

가능하니깐요.하지만 공교롭게도 저는 다른 사람과 관련되어 공적 토론에 참여함으로써 사회적 기여를 하고 싶은 종류의 인간인 것 같

습니다.이것이 제 인생의 최종적 목표인 것 같네요.

[ 인터뷰 원문 ]

Dr. Ha-Joon Chang is currently a professor of Economics at the University of Cambridge. Born in 1960s South Korea, Chang used his humble upbringing as motivation to understand the financial world and has become one of the most prominent political economists today. In addition to his role as a teacher, Dr. Chang is also an esteemed author and economic advisor.

How did your interest in politics and economics come about?

I was born in 1963 at a time when South Korea was one of the poorest countries in the world. Slums were springing up all over the place, the workers were striking and being beaten by the police while the students were demonstrating [and] setting fire to themselves to protest. I really wanted to understand how and why these things work, so I decided to study economics.

Do you think that the social movement that emerged in response to the 2008 financial crisis led to a change in the way economics is taught?

A lot of economists still believe that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with their theory. Frankly, there is a lot of resistance in changing the academic curriculum, so I wouldn’t want to create any false hope, but at least there has been some change, and that brings me a little bit of optimism. I think that we are slowly getting there. I have no illusion that it’ll happen very quickly, but in the end the academia has to respond to the changes in the real world.

What is your professional opinion of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton’s proposed economic policies?

Well, Donald Trump, I doubt whether he has any real policy to talk about. I mean, of course, he has the standard right-wing mantra of cutting taxes for the rich people so that they can invest more and create more jobs and wealth, but the trickle-down economics experiment has been shown not to work in the last thirty years. Trickle-down in theory is not logically wrong, but it has been proven not to work so I don’t understand how people can believe that it’s going to work this time. And he has other policies like – what do you call it – the penny plan? So basically you cut government spending by one percent every year and at some point, it will balance the budget, but why do you have to balance the budget all the time? This is something I don’t understand – people say we have to have a balanced budget every year, but I mean if you have to balance it every year, why not every quarter, why not every month or every day?

So then how would you propose to fix the economic problems that the U.S. now faces?

What the U.S. needs is to, first of all, reform the financial and corporate system in such a way that there are more productive things which would create jobs and even income for ordinary Americans. What’s happening now is that corporations in America especially have turned into ATMs for shareholders. Shareholders put pressure on the company to deliver short-term profit and what do the companies do to meet that? They have to sacrifice long-term growth of the company, or short-term profit, and so they don’t invest in machines, technology, and skilled workers. In the short run, this raises their profit because they’re not spending. But in the long run, this will hurt the company because it loses its competitiveness, the technology gets outdated, [and] workers become demoralized because they are low skilled. Don’t forget, American CEOs get paid at least twice more, sometimes up to twenty times more, than CEOs in other countries in return for destroying the company in the long-run and squeezing the living standard of American workers. Without reforming the system, I don’t think we’ll have the dynamic and fair society that we used to have.

You’ve previously stated that in order to prevent another financial crisis like the one we saw in 2008, we must build an economic system in which “material enrichment is not allowed to become the only goal.” Could you explain how this system would work in a capitalist country like the United States?

Well before getting to the center of that question, I want to say that there are many different ways of implementing capitalism. The American way is one way, but Japan has a very different way, which is very different from the Swedish way, which is very different from the French way. Capitalism – if you define it as a system in which profit [as a] motive is taken seriously and there is private ownership of companies – is compatible with many kinds of running the economy. I’m not one of those people who think that material progress is unimportant, but if you let that be the only goal in society, then you create an economic system that basically self-destructs like the U.S. system did in 2008. If you build a society where material enrichment is the only goal then people become less pleasant, and society becomes more conflicted. I think that it’s very important to control those things. We actually have the knowledge to accomplish this, but it is the absence of political will to change anything that prevents the implementation of these safety measures.

Aside from material enrichment, what would you say are your personal goals?

My personal goals? I don’t know if this is really personal, but I want to know more about the world. I know it’s a very basic urge, but I enjoy reading about other countries and cultures, and people who think differently from me. I enjoy visiting other places and learning different things. Quite a while ago, somebody asked me, “If you could have one superpower, what would it be?” I said I want the power to learn languages quickly, because if you learn another language, you have another world. At a very personal level, my curiosity about the world and my desire to know about other people is pretty strong. At a slightly less personal level, I have been trying at least for the last ten, fifteen years to engage in public debates and I try to influence public opinion about how the economy should be run. I think that’s one contribution I can make as an economist. I’m not actually saying that all economists should engage in public debate because, you know, it’s impossible. But, as it happens, given my interest and temperament, I think I want to make contributions by being [engaged] with different people and being involved in public debates. I guess that’s my ultimate goal for life.

댓글 쓰기 권한이 없습니다.
추천순
List of Articles
번호 제목 글쓴이 조회 수 추천 수 날짜
공지 헬조선 관련 게시글을 올려주세요 73 new 헬조선 9193 0 2015.09.21
24156 이걸로 박사모가 알바단체가 아니란게 증명된거같다. 5 new 인페르노조셍반도 196 5 2017.05.09
24155 헬센징들 민도수준이 진짜로 너무나 웃프다. ㅅㅂ것. 7 newfile 반헬센 320 5 2017.05.09
24154 유승민 뽑았는데 9 newfile 좀비생활 253 5 2017.05.09
24153 한국에서 요즘 젊은애들 문제라고 하는 어른들아 봐라 2 newfile 이승엽 195 5 2017.05.09
24152 근데 개한민국 누가 개통령 되도 망함ㅋㅋ 10 new 생각하고살자 258 5 2017.05.08
24151 부모한번 잘못만나서 시발ㅜㅜ 14 new 생각하고살자 486 5 2017.05.08
24150 미세먼지보다는 추운게 더 좋을것 같아서 캐나다로 갈 결정하였습니다. 11 new 떠나기1년전 305 5 2017.05.07